Create a simple and beautiful watercolor swirl background, perfect for the Essentials by Ellen Inner Mermaid!
Today I’m making a watercolor swirl using Kuretake Gansai Tambi watercolor pans—any time I want to watercolor large(er) expanses or make backgrounds, I love using these pans!
- If you don’t have a paint palette, use an acrylic block or a piece of acetate as a palette for diluting paint.
- Use a very wet brush for this effect.
- Hold the brush straight up when making the initial swirl.
- Afterwards, use the swirl as a guide to widen your paint strokes.
- Drop in more color as desired.
- Work on a clipboard or similar so that you can easily lift the piece off your work surface and heat set with your embossing gun, if desired.