Julie is sharing a variation of blending inks for an ombré effect directly on your stamps AND a sneak peek at some new Essentials by Ellen (available Friday, August 9th)!
Halloween has always been a pretty big deal at Julie’s house—it’s her hubby’s birthday! With a new release just around the corner, she is sharing a variation of ink blending right on your stamps with small, but super-effective tool! Pay close attention towards the end of the video—she also shows how today’s project was based on the same stamps, exact same layout and similar color scheme of a previous design yet has a completely different “look”!
- You can blend with just two colors of ink, but using three creates a more dramatic effect.
- A stamp positioning tool like the MISTI or the We R Memory Keepers Precision Press is essential for optimal results with this ink blending/stamping method.
- Stamp your outline images first; it’s often easier to align the filler within the outline, as opposed to vice versa.
- Start with your lightest ink first, and ink up the whole solid/filler image; make your first impression. You do not need to worry about cleaning the stamp at this point.
- Now apply the 2nd color of ink (which would be a medium tone), but ink only the next 2/3rds of the stamp image and blend the ink line on the stamping using your Smoothie’s rounded side. Stamp again, right over the top of the first impression. Again, no need to clean off the stamp at this point.
- Ink only the last third of the image with your darkest ink color; blend the ink line and then stamp again right over the top.
- Before making your next series of ombré impressions, you will want to clean your stamp to avoid cross contaminating your ink pads.
- You can clean off your Smoothie by tapping it against clean scratch paper until no more ink transfers. You can also rinse it out with water and allow to air dry when you’re completely finished. (Or, as Julie suggests, keep enough Smoothie’s on hand that you can assign one to each of the main color families.)
- With mid-darker toned inks and blending brushes, tap off excess ink onto scratch paper before blending onto your project. Start off project, and use a circular motion to blend towards and then onto your project. A loose grip on the handle and allowing only the weight of your arm (instead of exerting/applying pressure) will give you a subtle, delicate blend.
Super-cute, Julie!! Can’t wait to see the sets……..I don’t like Halloween but I ADORE the terrific and cute images associated with it.
[…] the second day of sneak peeks for the August Essentials by Ellen stamps & dies! Did you catch Julie’s awesome Hello Monday yesterday?! We are obviously so excited to share more about Julie’s new […]
Loved seeing the two totally “different, but same” versions.
Great video! Both versions of your cards are so fun. I feel weird saying this, but that little jar of eyeballs is cute 🙂
Thanks for the tutorial! I love the look of these techniques and your cards are adorable!
Great tips! Love the effect! Excited about the sneak peek…..
Love this latest Halloween set as well as this awesome ombré stamping technique…thanks for sharing!
Fun card! All the images are so cute! Those little daubers you used to create the ombre look are so cool!
HA I love this card! Thanks for all the tips!
What a great card and tips! love the sneak peek!
Cute–I like how you blended the ink.
Thanks for sharing your tips and the technique video.
I love the pink, never thought of using it for Halloween, but why not??!
Not sure where my comment went……
This is a fab technique. Such a pretty effect.
jwoolbright at gmail dot com
Thanks for the instructions about ombré stamping. Can’t wait to try. N
Awesome! Love how this looks!
Thanks for sharing your ink blending technique….it’s much appreciated! Love the sneak peeks!
this is so soft and pretty Julie, love it!!
oh I love this card! It’s so cute! Thanks for the video clip of ombre stamping!
I’m down for ombré, love how it comes out! Beautiful colors! Thanks!
Thanks for the sneak peaks. Looks like some cute products coming soon!!
Julie’s sets are so fun!!! Another great release is coming I can tell!
Fun technique and the ghosts are so adorable!
I LOVE the non traditional colors you used on the cards in this great release.
LOVE it!! I’ve been a Follower for a LONG time!! Such a SWEET Card and THANKS for sharing the Video too!! THANKS for the chance to WIN!! Have a FABULOUS WEEK!!
[…] Another reason to love the MISTI…not only do you get perfectly stamped images but you can also create multi-color & ombre effects and custom colors too. Check out Julie’s awesome video on ombre stamping. […]