Did you know that you can do more than just die cut or de-boss a cover plate die? Try hot foiling it for spectacular backgrounds using the Gemini Foil Press!
Julie’s using the Constellation Cover Plate Die and gold foil to create a stellar backdrop for her colorful planets on today’s inter-galactic card! You can also hot foil the “waste”, to get even more bang for your buck!
- Use Crafter’s Companion Gemini “Paper Craft Foil” when foiling card stocks and papers; use the “Multi-surface Foil” for surfaces such as fabric, leather and ribbon. Paper Craft Foil has a purple label; Multi-surface has a pink label. If you lose the packaging, Crafter’s Companion Paper Craft Foil has a white core roll; Multi-surface has a Kraft core roll. And, yes, using the appropriate foil for the surface you’re working on makes a difference
- Use the Foil Press Manual’s chart as a guide; depending on the materials you’re working on, you may want to experiment (on small scrap pieces) and tweak the chart suggestions—take notes for future reference!
- In between each project, disengage the foiling platform from the socket; reinsert to pre-heat when you’re ready to foil the next project. This will help you avoid over-heating the platform (potentially warping) and produce consistent results.
- Save the waste foil for another project! To hot foil the waste, using the following sandwich and settings:
- Foil on platform, ugly side up/pretty side down
- Card stock (Julie used 80# Neenah Solar White; other weights may require a little tweaking of the temperature, duration of time or shims)
- 2 layers of card stock (fold an 80# sheet of Neenah in half ) for shim
- Magnetic Shim from your Gemini Jr. Die Cutting Machine
- Heat Resistant Top Plate
Heat setting: Medium / Time: 50 seconds
- You can hot foil any of your low-profile dies using this method.
SPECIAL NOTE:The Gemini Foil Press is specifically designed for use with the Gemini Jr. Die Cutting Machine For hot foiling with the Spellbinders Platinum / Platinum 6, check out the Spellbinders Glimmer Hot Foil System, which is compatible with a number of manual die cutting machines.